Ayurvedic Treatment for Arthritis
Arthritis is a disease affecting joints of our body. As there are many associate branches, joints get damaged, resulting in pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints. Joints are point of motion between two or more bones. This point of articulation is usually well lubricated with the aid of cartilages .
Arthritis is a condition were this joint areas get either inflamed or swollen or a lot of friction being generated creating pain over the joint with cracking pain, or stiffness.
Types of doshas according to Ayurveda:
Arthritis Treatment in Ayurveda
Depending on the person’s lifestyle, diet and emotional pattern, the treatment procedure is scheduled for the patients. In Ayurveda, the treatment of arthritis focuses on the digestion of ama and reduction of vata, simultaneously.
At the same time, methods are used to reduce the pain as well as the inflammation of joints. The major steps, suggested under Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis are:
- Firstly, treatment recommends fasting. It helps to digest -ama.
- A special beverage is made of 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp honey and 250 ml warm water, prescribed twice a day – early morning and evening.
- Your body is massaged with mustard oil; this helps in the reduction of vata and eases pain.
- Do light exercise, but please don’t strain your body.
- It is recommended to intake orange juice or sweet limejuice. It will boost the effect of any arthritis drug.
Signs and symptoms of Arthritis
- Swelling all over the joint may be one or may be shifting swelling over all joints of the body
- Pain in the joint area
- Stiffness more normally in the morning time
- Cracking of the joint creating pain.
Diet for Arthritis patients:-
Foods which are easily digestible and do not make wind or gas are good. Intakes of Vegetables- either eat it raw or in the form of juices and soups are good. Green salad with a dressing of lemon juice and a little salt is also good. Fruits like apples, oranges, grapes and papaya can be taken.
Cooked vegetables like squash, zucchini and pumpkin are good. Cooking with spices like cumin, coriander, ginger, asafetida, garlic, fennel and turmeric also helps a lot.
Polyarthritis is not a type of arthritis but rather a description of some types of arthritis. Polyarthritis means- involving more than one joint. Some types of arthritis such as Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Lupus and Gout almost always include multiple joints.
The most obvious symptom of Polyarthritis is pain, inflammation and or swelling in multiple joints. The term Polyarthritis is usually given to auto-immune types of arthritis. An auto-immune disease is where your body’s immune system starts attacking itself.
Symptoms of Polyarthritis are:
- Morning stiffness
- Pain on motion or tenderness in at least one joint
- Swelling in at least one joint
- Swelling of at least one other joint
- Symmetric joint swelling
Osteoarthritis is termed as Sandhivata in Ayurveda. Sandhi means the joint and Vata stands for the Vata Dosha. When actions of the Vata increase inside the Sandhis, joints, it is known as the Sandhivata.
Vata is dry in nature so it absorbs the fluidity from any part of the body and it is also destructive or catabolic in nature. Due to these two reasons Vata causes destruction of the cartilages and reduction in the Synovial fluid inside the joint capsule.
Ayurvedic remedy for Osteoarthritis
- Eating lot of vegetables, freshly cooked foods, hot soups of lentils, pulse, moderate quantity of ghee and oils to lubircate the dried joints.
- By avoiding oily and deep fried foods.
- Doing a regular mild exercise programme to enable the joint to move and prevent further damages also by not indulging in any hard job which may damage the joints.
- Daily massaging with the mahanaraya oil or specific oils prescribed by an Ayurvedic doctor is used to calm down the vata dosha.
Fill in the “Enquiry form” to get a personalised treatment plan for Arthritis . Get direct response from ayurvedic experts through mail or phone by entering your contact details.