Ayurvedic Treatment for Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is one of the oldest and most common type of arthritis. The major cause of osteoarthrosis is the breakdown of the joint’s cartilage. The loss of cartilage can cause rubbing of bones against each other thereby causing joint pain.
The effect of osteoarthritis can be mild to severe . This joint pain is most common among middle aged and older people .The main cause of arthritis is degeneration (wear and tear of cartilage ) which occurs naturally with ageing .
- Unequal length of 2 legs – it can leads t unequal distribution of weight among both legs and hence excessive weight in one of the limbs therby accelerating the degeneration of that particular limbs.
- Overweight – Weight bearing joints such as knee joints are severely affected
- Sex hormones – female hormones protects women from osteoarthritis till menopause but the risk steeply increases thereafter.
Most of the symptoms of osteoarthritis tend to build up with time . The common symptoms of arthritis include :-
- stiffness of knees,hips or lower back especially after inactivity or continuous activity
- cracking sound while bending a a joint
- swelling around the joint
- severe pain at the end of day or after activity
Ayurvedic Treatment for Osteoarthritis or Degenerative Arthritis
According to Ayurveda, Bone Degeneration is known as Asthi Kshaya . Asthi means bone and kshya is loss. Ayurvedic Treatment of Osteoarthritis mainly consists of herbal medications with anti-inflammatory effects and contains ingredients like Guggulu (Commifora mukul and Boswellia serreta) which helps to strengthen cartilages and bones.
To prevent bone degeneration, Ayurveda guides a person to keep their Doshas in balance with an appropriate diet and a vata-pacifying regime. Herbs to facilitate mineral circulation and deposition into the bones are recommended such as ginger, long pepper and cinnamon, provided they are suitable for the body-type.
Phytoestogenic herbs like red clover, alfalfa, parsley, sage, aniseed, fennel, sarasparilla, licorice, false unicorn root, ladies slipper, wild yam, peony, black cohosh and passionflower are used to help postmenopausal women to retain minerals. Ayurveda which is based upon the concept of Vata, Pitta and Kapha humors of the human body, is a holistic therapy.
The symptoms are pain in bones, weak nails and teeth, dryness in body, excessive fall of hair, chronic fatigue without any labour and loose joints.
Do not take up exercises in cases of severe inflammation, without consulting your doctor. In acute cases, rest usually heals. The moment inflammation subsides, you will need to start exercising. Too much rest can also make joints immobile and stiff. Consult your doctor to learn about the mode and the type of exercises for it to get cured.
Fill in the “Enquiry form” to get a personalised treatment plan for Osteoarthritis . Get direct response from ayurvedic experts through mail or phone by entering your contact details