Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammatory disease occurring in whole or any part of the colon (large intestine).The precise cause is unknown but dietary, genetic, immunological and psychological factors have all been implicated.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis are frequent loose stools with passage of blood and mucous. Patient may complain of abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of weight, loss of body fluids and nutrients. Some patients also have skin lesions, Joint pain, Inflammation of eyes and liver disorders.
Diet and Regimen
- Avoid dairy products like milk, ice cream, cheese, chocolate etc.
- Yogurt, curd and buttermilk are useful.
- Avoid foods that cause an allergic response or to which there is sensitivity.
- It’s always better to avoid fast food or restaurants food.
- During active phase (when blood and mucous are passing) avoid bran, porridge, green salad, leafy vegetables, mango, orange, lemon and high fiber diet.